Add a little twist to your bread with this little recipe for Braided Bread. Not only is it super pretty, but you can change the filling to whatever you want, and it’s great to just tear off a piece for a snack.
4 cups bread flour 2 tsp active dry yeast 2 tbs sugar 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup milk 2 tbs butter 2 tsp salt 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a mixing bowl add 2 cups of flour, sugar and yeast. With a hand whisk or a fork, stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan, add the water, milk and butter and heat over low flame until lukewarm (~ 110F).
- Slowly pour over the flour mixture, stir to combine and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes until the sticky dough starts to rise and gets a spongy texture.
- Attached the dough hook to your mixer. With the mixer on low speed, start mixing the sticky dough, slowly beating the lightly beaten eggs in. Stir in the salt and slowly adding the remaining 2 cups of bread flour.
- When all the flour is added, increase the mixer speed to medium-low and let it knead for about 5-6 minutes or until the dough cleans itself from the sides of the bowl.
- If it’s still sticky add just a little bit more flour. The dough should be soft and elastic.
- With greased hands, remove the dough from he mixing bowl and it into a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise at room temperature until doubled in volume. It should take little over an hour.
- When the dough is risen, place it on a lightly floured surface, divide into 4 and roll each piece into a pancake.
- On each, add whatever spread you’d like: Nutella, red bean paste (that’s what I used), etc., and stack them on top of each other.
- Place a small cup in the center, and from the edge of that cup, cut the bread into 12-15 pieces (make sure to leave the center intact!)
- Braid the bread by taking two slices of the bread and braiding them together. Gently place the braid on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap again and let it rest for the second time for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400F. Just before placing the bread into the oven, brush it with the egg wash (1 egg yolked mixed with few drops of milk).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until nice and golden. Enjoy!