These cheddar scallion biscuits are the best combination of cheesy, buttery, and savory in a bite — perfect right out of the oven, perfect for the rainy, cold weather, perfect for any occasion.
Take a bite into this biscuit, which is just the right amount of crispy around the edges and soft and flaky inside. And hidden at the very middle is a gooey, cheesy center. These biscuits are great as a side dish to impress your family (in minimal time, too!) or to enjoy as a quick snack.
This recipe is courtesy of my friend Brianna Z., who made it for us at our Halloween party (along with these wonderful Jalapeño Poppers!) They’re reminiscent of those Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits that I used to stuff myself with, and now instead of the boxed mix, try this recipe that’s been honed to absolute perfection by Brianna!
☐ 2 cups flour
☐ 1 teaspoon baking soda
☐ 1/2 teaspoon salt
☐ 1 cup buttermilk
☐ 2 cups cheddar (or to taste)
☐ 4 tablespoons butter, softened
☐ Diced scallions or chives, to taste (One bundle of scallions is usually sufficient for one batch)
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium to large sized bowl
3. Stir in cheddar and scallions
4. Add buttermilk, and stir until dough is solid and a bit tacky
5. Knead butter into the dough
6. Either bake in a pre-greased bread pan or shape dough into roughly 2-inch balls (see Optional Step 1 and 2 here)
7. Put in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, check halfway through
8. They’re ready when the outside is a light golden brown
– Use extra cheddar and form dough balls around it, creating cheddar-stuffed rolls
– Put cheddar on top of biscuits